Unless you’ve had an anatomy class, you may have never heard of a temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Simply put, it’s the joint that connects your jaw to your skull. If inflamed, it can also cause pain so severe that it’s hard to open and close your mouth. Fortunately, Dr. H. David Nelams can end your pain and restore normal jaw function with TMJ treatment in Lumberton.
With our treatment, you’ll be able to:
- Stop destructive teeth grinding, a habit often linked to TMJ dysfunction
- Keep pain from spreading from your jaw to your neck, shoulders, and elsewhere
- Chew and eat without pain
- Awaken feeling refreshed, without headaches or other pain caused by grinding
- Prevent grinding-related damage to your teeth that would require repair with restorative dentistry
Don’t let a sore jaw get you down! Call us at 409-217-5625. Dr. Nelams will examine you using tools like our digital X-rays to evaluate your TMJ symptoms, then determine the appropriate treatment for your problem.
Find TMJ Relief With a Custom Night Guard
In many cases a custom-made night guard will relieve your TMJ pain. Worn while sleeping, it will gently move your jaw into a position that relieves pressure on your TMJ and also keeps you from grinding your teeth. We’ll make impressions of your teeth with our digital scanning technology, not a tray of messy goo. The impressions will be used to create a night guard that fits you perfectly and will be more comfortable than one purchased from a store.
If Dr. Nelams determines that a misaligned bite (malocclusion) is contributing to your problem, he may also suggest treatment to improve your bite. This treatment may include:
- Teeth Contouring – We can make minor adjustments to the size and shape of your teeth with this simple procedure.
- Dental Crowns – Larger adjustments may require a restoration like a dental crown.
- Invisalign Orthodontics – Invisalign can correct many common bite problems, including an overbite.
For TMJ treatment in Lumberton, call 409-217-5625.